SECURITY ENGINEER (L2) – GAUTENG
SECURITY ENGINEER (L2)
The role is responsible for providing a managed service to clients to ensure that their IT infrastructure and systems remain operational through proactively monitoring, identifying, investigating, and resolving technical incidents and problems and to restore service to clients by managing incidents to resolution.
Their primary objective is to proactively review client requests or tickets and apply technical/process knowledge to resolve them without breaching service level agreements (SLA). The Security Engineer (L2) focuses on second-line support for incidents and requests with a medium-to-high level of complexity.
Monitor Operational Infrastructure:
- The Security Engineer (L2) takes the lead in establishing monitoring for client infrastructure.
- They leverage standard tools and processes to respond and resolve incidents and requests in a timeously manner meeting agreed SLA.
Identify Problems and Errors:
- The Security Engineer (L2) proactively identifies problems and errors before they impact a client’s service.
- They log all such incidents in a timely manner with the required level of detail. They liaise with all stakeholders, including the client’s IT team, vendors, carriers, and necessary Company functions to expedite diagnosis of errors and problems and to identify a resolution or provide a recommendation.
- As required, the Security Engineer (L2) will take responsibility for receiving calls and incidents at the service desk.
- They assist in the analysis and resolution or assignment of a ticket.
- Actively communicates with all internal teams, clients, or vendors for all troubleshooting tasks, with consistent updates to tickets on the progress and resolution.
- Resolves most of the incidents, actively seeks support from L3 or L4 Security engineers for major and complex tickets. Leads and manages all initial client escalation for operational issues.
- Actively contributes to the change management process by logging all change requests with complete details for standard and non-standard including patching and any other changes to configuration items.
- Ensures all changes are carried out with proper change approvals and within SLA.
- The Security Engineer (L2) diligently completes the shift handover process by documenting all pending tasks (open tickets) to be completed in the next shift and highlights any critical tasks to be focussed on, such as P1 tickets and requests or exceptions.
- The Security Engineer (L2) will actively apply knowledge articles for routine activities.
- Actively contributes to creating and updating knowledge articles.
- Produces knowledge articles/work instructions for the tasks to be performed by Service Desk & L1 teams to enhance first call resolution rates.
- The Security Engineer (L2) Engineer audits and analyses incidents and requests tickets for quality and recommends improvements with updates to knowledge articles.
- Produces trend analysis reports for identifying tasks for automation, leading to a reduction in tickets and optimization of effort.
- They plan and execute approved maintenance activities.
- Diploma, degree, or relevant qualification in IT/Computing (or demonstrated equivalent work experience)
- Fortinet NSE4
- Fortinet NSE5
- Zscaler ZCCA-IA
- Cisco CCNA
Comprehension of Technologies:
- Routing (MPLS/BGP/OSPF)
- Any of the above certifications will be favourable.
- The MS –Security Engineer (L2) is expected to gain certifications relevant to services supported. Certifications carry additional weightage on the candidate’s qualification for the role.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 3-6 years of relevant managed services experience
- Must possess essential and operational knowledge in ticketing tools preferably Service Now.
- Strong client service orientation and passion for achieving or exceeding expectations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Driver’s license.
- Solid troubleshooting skills.