DISTRICT HUMAN RESOURCES CO-ORDINATOR (FIXED TERM CONTRACT) – UTHUKELA – LADYSMITH
Interaction with internal and external stakeholders providing timeous customer- and employee-focused HR advice, support, consultancy to District Managers and employees in line with operational and organisational policies and procedures. Primary (and not limited to) responsibility for HR support in implementation and execution of District goals and objectives, employee relations, recruitment, employment equity, performance management, time management, compliance and payroll issues.
Key Performance Areas
Client and stakeholder perspective
- Develop and maintain relevant relationships at all levels; programme, project managers and partners and external stakeholders.
- Provide high-quality services rendered to clients according to Organization standards and in line with funder requirements
- Participate as an active member of the district team; provide input to project meetings/discussions and liaise with colleagues at district level regarding HR issues
- Participate in the recruitment and selection process for the district; guide managers on competency-based interview processes and provide new recruit lists to managers and ensure that the Employment Equity Plan is implemented in the district
- Advise line managers on employee relations processes and practices
- Ensure that all relevant legislative posters are updated, and attend to Department of Employment and Labour queries in the district
- Assist with the monitoring and tracking of due dates for execution of performance appraisals, and alert the Human Resources Manager (HRM) to any challenges or discrepancies in the district
- Assist in the development and maintenance of manpower lists for accurate reporting.
- Participate in the annual HR budgeting process and provide input into costs associated with HR Activities
- Co-ordinate and collate lists for payment of Long Service Awards alongside all other payments for the HR Unit
- Identify risks and alert the HRM to identified issues for appropriate management
- Manage organization assets efficiently, e.g. phone, laptop, vehicles and other equipment
- Manage the HR compliance requirements for the districts and support clean audits
- Manage the employee life cycle from end to end for the Districts in line with HRM
- Support the District management in seamless implementation of activities ensuring they have adequate human resource
- Support Management in achieving high performance culture through implemented performance management processes
- Ensure District teams are oriented in the organisation and work closely with responsible specialist
- Ensure that line managers conduct probation reviews and apply remedial action within the probation period
- Handle and provide advise on employee relations including grievance and disciplinary procedures
- Monitor the implementation of and adherence to all organization policies
- Provide training and support on all organization policies related to HR management
- Conduct random alcohol testing of staff
- Assist in preparation and handling of CCMA and Labour Court matters
- Create, update and ensure that files of employee warnings/disciplinary enquiries/grievances are collated from relevant managers
- Ensure that all grievance and disciplinary enquiry proceedings are recorded and filed
- Responsible for handling application responses – receive applications, create summary of applications for advertised district positions
- Participate in the screening of applications with the district selection team in line with the Employment Equity Plan and prepare a report on shortlisted candidates
- Prepare contract variations (addenda, transfers and extensions)
- Ensure that documentation on new employees is collated and forwarded to Payroll personnel for processing (CV, qualifications, professional body registration, etc)
- Assist district staff with ESS (leave management system) queries, ensuring that employees who do not have access to online applications can access the system and apply for leave accordingly
- Responsible for district IT requests and exit handover
- Conduct exit interviews in the district and provide reports on any issues for action by HR and management
- Responsible for timesheet co-ordination and verification – collation and submission to Payroll staff
- Assist in ensuring that health and safety regulations are adhered to in the district
- Assist with updating the PEPFAR HRID database through accurate maintenance of manpower lists and ensuring that data for all staff in the district are captured on a quarterly basis before the deadline
- Facilitate access to the Wellness Programme for district staff as and when required
- Ensure the processing of WCA claims and complete employer reports of accidents
- Ensure that an electronic file of the job description is updated and that a copy is filed in the employee file through liaison with the HRO.
- Identify own skills gaps and develop a personal skills development plan annually
- Initiate personal performance management
- Identify and attend relevant courses, conferences and training relevant to own job and development performance management.
- Constantly learn about the HR profession through research, subscribing to relevant publications and participating in/attending relevant trainings; relay all new information to the HRM so that suitable strategies can be developed and implemented, and advise the HR team
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation for service standards
- The role-holder will from time to time be required by the HRM to carry out other duties that fall within the scope of the job.
Education, language and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Human Resources Management/ Business Administration
- English language proficiency, both verbal and written
- Proficiency in isiZulu and other South African languages, both verbal and written, will be an added advantage.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- At least three to five years’ experience in human resources management
- A valid driver’s licence.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and influencing skills
- Good interpersonal skills to work with internal and external stakeholders and ability to liaise with people at all levels
- Solid knowledge of all relevant South African legislation (LRA, EEA, BCEA, OHSA, etc.)
- Knowledge of HR software is a strong requirement.
- Excellent level of computer literacy, with proficiency in spreadsheets, databases, word processing and Internet/e-mail
- Report-writing skills
- Effective planning and organisational skills, with strong ability for self-organisation and multi-tasking, balancing competing priorities under pressure
- A dynamic attitude, ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a team, and commitment to equity and cultural diversity
- Willingness to travel and work beyond normal office hours.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience of working in a public health setting in government or NGOs.
Works in ways that demonstrate understanding of and commitment to organization’s vision, mission and values
Demonstrates understanding of how the role contributes to and delivers organisational goals and priorities
Analysis and use of information
Assesses and interprets information to identify options and make timely decisions, and allocates resources effectively to implement required actions
Accepts ownership and accountability, whilst thinking ahead and deciding on courses of action to sustain momentum and achieve desired outcomes
Planning and delivery of work
Plans, organises and schedules work to meet individual, Unit and Section objectives whilst achieving quality and value for money
Working with others
Builds positive relationships, co-operates with and values the opinions of others both within and outside the organization, demonstrating an understanding of and commitment to effective teamwork and partnerships
Communicating with others
Varies the ways in which ideas and information are communicated, ensuring that key verbal and written messages for a diverse set of audiences are clearly understood
Positively influences others, creating acceptance and support for ideas, inspiring others to give their best to achieve desired results, whilst maintaining effective relationships with individuals and teams
Supports positive change and actively looks for ways to improve how the work is done.
Continually seeks to improve own skills, knowledge to inform ways of working